cello · flute · guitar · piano · violin · viola · voice
Private lessons don’t have to end at the end of the school year! You have grown into a better musician while school has been in session—don’t lose your skills over the summer! Summer private lessons are a great time to:
- Enjoy your instrument more when practice time is easier to find
- Explore new areas on your instrument/voice
- Have a more flexible lesson schedule
- Prepare for a new school year’s auditions and ensembles
- Schedule lessons around vacations or summer camps
Summer session runs from July 9th through Aug. 28th
Click here for more information and rates
Hone your skills on your instrument or begin learning a new instrument. Groups limited to 5 students with a focus on establishing and developing proper technique. Learning in a small group can be fun and motivating! All group lessons are led by MSSC faculty.
- Beginner Guitar – Mondays 7-8pm • July 16th – Aug. 20th
- Violin and Viola – Tuesdays 6-7pm • July 10th – Aug. 21st no class July 24th Students will be grouped according to playing level at the first class.
- Flute – Students entering grades 6-8, Tuesdays 6-7pm; Students entering grades 9-12, Tuesdays 7-8pm
July 22nd – Aug 27th
Class fee for all instruments: $95
Explore a new area of music this summer. Whether through learning music theory, learning improvisation, or “fiddling around”, summer is the time to grow in new musical directions.
Open to violin, viola, cello and guitar students with at least 2 years’ experience playing please see playing requirements below. No music reading experience required. Explore the creative process of improvisation. Learn how rhythms, scales and chords work together to allow for spontaneous musical expression.
Students should be able to play the following on their instrument
- Violinists one octave D Major scale and two octave G Major scale
- Violists and Cellists one octave D and G Major scale and two octave C Major scale.
- Guitarists fluency in the following chords: C-Maj, G-Maj, D-Maj, A-Maj, A-min & E-min
Mon-Wed-Fri • August 20th, 22nd and 24th • 5:30-6:30pm
Class fee: $55
Hey violinists, did you ever wonder what it’s like to play the viola? Here is your chance to find out. The similarities between these two instruments allow students to easily transfer their skills from violin to viola. However there are subtle and rich differences in tone production and technique and a whole different cleff that violists read in! Recommended for violin students in Suzuki book 2 and up.
Students will be provided with violas to play and bring home to practice.
Mon-Wed-Fri • August 6th through 17th • 6-7pm
Class fee: $125
If your child needs a little boost to practice, or you’re hoping to enliven their interest in their instrument over the summer, let them land at the Thursday Practice Pad. Students ages 7-12 will come together to practice in small groups led by college and high school music mentors and guided by MSSC faculty. Students will learn how to make the most of their practice time and will be given tools for positive practicing!
Sign up for the whole summer and keep you musical momentum going or drop-in and join us for a musical boost!
violin • viola • cello • guitar • bass
This program is for students who have begun taking lessons with a private teacher or in a school music program
Thursdays 6:00 – 7:00pm • July 12th through Aug. 23rd
All 7 weeks: $60
Drop-in fee: $10 per child or $20 per family
Free for any child who receives free/reduced lunch